Wednesday, September 2, 2015

I like to move it, move it… (and the importance of a kickass workout playlist)


Every time the movie Madagascar plays on the TV, I wait eagerly for the dance bit and do my moves to ‘I like to move it, move it’. It’s not a pretty sight.

But in that moment, I’m just enjoying the music and letting it drive me, without really thinking of how hard it is to heft my body around.

I can’t say enough about the power of music during a workout.

Some of the best group instructors in the business are known as much for the playlists as much as for their exercise mojo. You just have to walk into a packed class to know what I’m talking about.

You may not be master of the music is a group class, but when you’re working out by yourself, spend a little time playing DJ before you hit the gym. Here’s why:

Music is a super workout buddy: A great set of songs will keep you company through a gruelling workout. And you’ll wonder where the time went.

Add variety to monotony: If you’re walking or running or doing an activity that's mostly one dimensional, music can make all the difference. Alter your mood, speed, tempo and pace with a quick flick of the ipod.

Ditch the timer, turn on the tunes: Music is a great way to change from one exercise to another, to increase the intensity of your reps or simply to count down to the end of your workout. It’s more fun than looking at a clock.

If you feel it, you’ll show it: Doing some bag work? Try Eye of the Tiger. Yes, it’s a cliché, but it works. Legs day? How about some rock? Cardio? EDM can be your best friend. Music is a great motivator. And the right kind of music will help you have the best kind of workout.

P.S. Don’t ever depend on the gym’s music. There’s nothing more off putting than trying to match your moves to someones else’s groove. But, prepare your playlist in advance. You don't want to be spending all your energy and attention on the music player. 

Hit the gym with some sexy tunes. I guarantee you'll like to move it, move it. 

Since I said it, here's team Madagascar with an encore. Watch and enjoy :)

Image courtesy: Google baba
Video courtesy: Youtube



No comments:

Post a Comment